BORROWING GUIDELINES Library Cards
: Any Allen County resident or property owner is eligible to receive a library borrower's card. Applicants for library cards must present identification and proof of residence. In-county residents who do not currently have an account with the library may also submit an Application
Please notify the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen or your name/address changes.
If a library card is lost or stolen, it will be replaced once free of charge. A $3.00 fee will be
charged for each additional replacement. No fee is charged to replace a card that is unusable due to damage.
Persons who own property in Allen County but do not live there must show a property tax receipt.
Non-residents may obtain a card by paying an annual fee.
In-County Corporate Cards are available upon written request.
Please bring your library card to checkout material and for free parking. Computer Access Card:
Those residing in temporary situations in Fort Wayne or Allen County who do not reside elsewhere may obtain a card that allows computer access, but no borrowing.
In-county businesses and organizations are available upon written request. Please speak to a staff member to initiate a card. Public Library Access Card:
Non-residents of Allen County, who present a resident library card from any Indiana public library or who have purchased a subscription card from any Indiana public library, may purchase a Public Library Access Card and borrow materials from the Allen County Public Library.
- The cost of a Public Library Access Card for 2015 is $65.00.
- Most circulating materials may be borrowed.
- PLAC patrons may not borrow downloadable audio books or eBooks.
- PLAC patrons will not be provided with access to online subscription databases.
- ACPL will not provide Interlibrary Loan service for PLAC patrons.
- PLAC patrons are not eligible for free parking at the main library.
Both Indiana residents and non-Indiana residents may purchase a subscription card with proof of identification and residence.
Checking Out Materials:
- The current fee for an Individual Subscription Card is $70.
- Most circulating materials may be borrowed.
- Subscription patrons may not borrow downloadable audio books or eBooks.
- Free parking is included.
You must present your own card to check out material. You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card.
- R_Movie and Movie categories and some equipment are loaned for 3 days.(Up to 6 per patron)
- "Express" materials are loaned for 7 days.(Up to 3 video games per patron)
- Books, educational categories, and most other materials are loaned for 21 days.
- Reference and genealogy materials, newspapers, and some magazines are designated for use in the library only and may not be checked out.
- Interlibrary loan material will be circulated for the period indicated by the owning library.
Most items may be borrowed without limit; however, there are a few exceptions. • Computer Access patrons may not borrow. • Juvenile patrons may not borrow 3-day equipment or R movies. • New patrons may only borrow up to 6 books and/or magazines (print and audio). • Patrons may borrow up to 3 Express video games, 6 3-day DVDs, 25 music CDs and/or 6 21-day video games.
PIN (Personal Identification Number)
- All patrons registering after that date are assigned a PIN at the time of registration.
- Your PIN may be 1234 or the last 4-digits of the telephone number listed in your library account.
- If you forgot your PIN you may select Contact Us on our home page, and then select Library Card and Catalog Questions; you may call 421-1200, ext. 4011 or you may ask at your local library.
- You may change your PIN after logging into My Account by selecting PIN Change.
You may renew 3-day and 21-day materials.
- 21-day materials may be renewed a maximum of five times
- 3-day items may be renewed one time.
- Express material, eBooks, downloadable audio books and interlibrary loan material may not be renewed.
- An item may not be renewed if there is a hold (waiting list)
- Materials may not be renewed if your record has been blocked, barred, or if your library card has expired.
- Bring your library card and/or material to any library.
- Call 421-1240 to renew and have your library card number ready.
- Login at the Allen County Public Library Catalog.
- Equipment may be renewed by calling or by bringing your library card to the Art, Music and Media Department of the Main Library.
All materials except equipment may be returned to anyAllen County Public Library location
. Equipment must be returned to the facility where it was checked out. Downloadable audio books and eBooks are removed from your account on the due date. You may return eBooks early, if you choose. Holds:
If the material (21-day) you need is already checked out, or at another ACPL location, the staff will be happy to place a hold on it for you.
- You may also place your own holds through the online catalog.
- There is a limit of 5 holds per patron.
- You will be notified when the material is available if you select either email delivery or phone delivery and provide either a valid email address or telephone number.
- You may, also, place holds on downloadable audio books and eBooks. There is a limit of 5 holds per patron.
- Three-day and "Express" materials may not be placed on hold.
The library usesILLiad
software to expedite interlibrary loan service to ACPL patrons. You need to register with ILLiad
the first time you use it. Subsequently, logging on with library card number and password will connect you to ILLiad
. You can make requests, track your requests, view your request history, and receive your articles electronically.
The library will no longer borrow books published within the past two years or any media, e.g. movies, music, software, etc. Connect to ILLiad Fines and Charges:
You may pay your fees at any library using cash, check or money order. You may pay using Discover, MasterCard and Visa at Aboite, Dupont, Georgetown,Little Turtle, New Haven, Waynedale and the main library; by calling 260-421-1200, ext 4011, and by accessing My Account in the Allen County Public Library Catalog login
- You are responsible for returning items checked out on your library card by the due date. A fine is charged for each day an item is overdue, including weekends and holidays.
- The overdue fine for three-day and "Express" material is $1.00 per item per day. Maximum fine is $6.00 per item.
- The overdue fine for books and most other materials is 0.25 cents per item per day. Maximum fine is $5.00 per item.
- Overdue notices are sent to patrons selecting email or phone notification who provide a valid email address or telephone number.
- You will be blocked from checking out additional materials if you have accumulated $15.00 or more in fines.
- You will be charged for replacement of any materials that are lost, damaged or returned incomplete.
- The cataloging and processing fee for lost, damaged or incomplete returns is $5.00 per item
The Allen County Public Library reserves the right to send adult accounts with excessive bills ($35.00 or more) to collection. A collection fee ($10.00) will be billed to the account at that time. Borrowing privileges are suspended until the account is paid in full.
You may see an overview of your account by accessing My Account atwww.acpl.info
- You must enter your library card number and PIN to see this information.
- You may view your checkouts, place holds, renew material and pay bills.