Entries are still being accepted in the Library’s Annual Poetry Contest! All kids and young adults in kindergarten through high school are invited to submit a poem on the topic of their choice. The deadline to get your poem submitted is Monday, November 6. You can drop your poem off at any Allen County Public Library branch or at the Main Library. Just Write It! -- there is no specific theme this year.
All winning poems will be added to the permanent library collection in both print and digital form. If you are interested in last year’s winning compilation of poems, you can place the print version on hold here or read the entire book of winning poems online here.
Want more information about this year’s poetry contest? Here are the official rules:
- Poetry Contest is open to all children in kindergarten through grade five, and all teens in grades six through twelve.
- Only one entry per student.
- Poem must be student's original work.
- All entries must be submitted on 8.5" x 11" paper.
- All entries must have student's name, address, phone number, email (if available), school, and grade on the back of the poem.
- Poetry Contest starts on Monday, September 11, 2017.
- Poetry Contest ends on Monday, November 6, 2017, 9:00 pm.
- Criteria for judging of poems includes
- understanding the concept of a "poem"
9. Awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and HM will be chosen for each grade.
10. Winners will be notified by mail.
11. The Poetry Contest Awards Ceremony will be held at 10:30 am on December 9th.
12. All Poetry Conest entries become the property of the Allen County Public Library.
13. For further information, call the library at 260.421.1220.
What are you waiting for? Start writing YOUR poem to enter!