Summer is almost here! And that means that the Summer Learning Program - formerly known as the Summer Reading Program - is almost here!
You may already know a few things about this year's Summer Learning Program at the ACPL...
- It starts June 1st and runs through July 31st.
- It has a new, online component called Beanstack where you can keep track of your reading, participate in activities, and earn badges! You can even go ahead and sign up for Beanstack right now and participate in our pre-summer Get Ready for Just One More Page program. Then be sure to register for the real deal on June 1st!
- And, as always, we will be hosting fun programs, storytimes, and events all summer long! And giving out prizes for reading!
It is sure to be tons of fun!
Here are some things you probably don't know about this year's Summer Learning Program. There's a lot happening behind the scenes to plan and run a successful Summer Learning Program:
- There are three committees, one for each age group, who plan the entire Summer Learning Program! These committees start meeting in AUGUST and tend to meet twice a month until MAY to get everything planned and ready to go.
- We use A LOT of supplies! For example, for this summer's Tensile Bubbles program, we purchased 40 bottles of bubble solution and 149 bags of pipe cleaners! These supplies were packed into tubs and sent to every ACPL location.
- We LOVE to give away books! We may be focusing on all aspects of learning this summer, but reading is still a big part of it! The second and third prizes for children ages 0 to 11 are books, and to prepare for the onslaught of summer readers this year, we have over 5,000 chapter books waiting in the library's basement to give away as prizes!
And that is really just the tip of the iceberg! I could share a lot more stats with you, but I think I'll leave you with just this one: We gave away 23,966 prizes to kids (ages 0 to 11) during last year's summer program. I think we can do even better this year!