13th Annual Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival
Sunday, May 19
Noon to 5:00 pm
Allen County Public Library
900 Library Plaza Fort Wayne, IN
Presented by the Japanese American Association of Indiana (JAAI) and the Allen County Public Library.
Share the traditions of Japan at the 13th Annual Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival! Most events are free, and Japanese merchandise and food will be available for purchase.
Opening Ceremony - 12:00 pm
with Fort Wayne Taiko, Mayor Tom Henry's Official Proclamation, Fort Wayne Children's Choir and Suzuki Strings, and pre-opening music by Fort Wayne Taiko.
• Tokiko Kimura – Koto
• Emi Tanabe - Violin (part of Grammy-winning group, Apollo’s Fire)
• Elaina Robbins, vocal and Daniel Quinn, classical guitar - contemporary Japanese music
• Fort Wayne Children’s Choir, Chamber Singers - Performing Japanese music in the Opening Ceremony
• Fort Wayne Taiko - traditional Japanese drumming at 12 noon to open the festival
• Dalen Wuest - Saxophone
• Koji Ota, Japanese Pop Songs – songs in Japanese
• Minyo Dancers - traditional Japanese Folk style dancing in colorful Kimonos
• Shie Otani - traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony with participation of audience members
• Suzuki Strings Orchestra of Fort Wayne - performing Japanese music for the Opening Ceremony
Draw a famous anime character or your own original character.
Can You Haiku?
Students submit work prior to festival. Finalists have their haiku displayed and are invited to read their haiku at the festival. The public may also compose haiku at the festival.
Public may wear costumes depicting their favorite Cosplay character.
• Asian Styles - Japanese merchandise, accessories, gifts, souvenirs
• Bonsai Club - Japanese style miniature plants
• Books, Comics and Things- Manga and Japanese trading card games
• Buf’s Otaku Stop – Video games, wall scrolls, plush
• Carroll High School-Yamate Gakuin Partnership-original origami accessories
• Cherry Blossom Festival T-shirts-Collect them all!
• IACE Travel Agency – Travel information
• JessDesu Kawaii – Handmade Kanzashi hair and Harakuju accessories, chibi anime figures
• Japanese Saturday School – Accessories, crafts and Japanese souvenir items
• Ohio Kimono - Kimonos from Japan & kimono accessories
Martial Arts Demonstrations:
Indianapolis Kendo Club
Taste of Japan:
Bamboo Garden: Curry, yakisoba, spring rolls
Kona Shaved Ice: Kakigōri:
Pho-Shi: Sushi, yakitori, mochi ice cream
West Coast Grill: Smoothies, seaweed salad, bottled water
Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart: Japanese candies, drinks, crackers etc.
Demonstrations and Other Activities:
Bonsai Crafting by the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club
Children’s Games & Crafts, ACPL Children’s Services
Japanese Goldfish Catch
Japanese-themed “Make and Take”, ACPL Children’s Services & JAAI
Kamishibai Story Telling, ACPL Children’s Services
Kendama, Mike Tsugawa
Make the Cherry Tree Bloom – Make origami cherry blossoms
Origami Demonstration, Mike Schmid, Art educator
Papercutting Art Exhibit and Demonstration by Janice Furtner, Artist
YoYo Water Balloons – IACE Travel Agency