So you need to find a job? One way to stand out is to have a resume prepared. This guide will walk you through the creation of your resume and cover letter, as well as provide you with additional information to aid your search - lists of Web links and library materials to check out.
WRITING A RESUME
15 tips for writing winning resumes WRITING A COVER LETTER Cover letter do's and don'ts Write a winning cover letter in 15 minutes
EResumes.com – Articles, samples, and lots of critiques. Includes a great action verb list
Action verbs, categorized by skill
Putting a spin on work experience
SoYouWanna write an impressive resume?
*Resume library materials
*Cover letter library materials THANK YOU NOTES
It is recommended to send a thank you letter after an interview, usually within 24 hours. Sample Career Thank-You Letters Thank You Letters - Examples and Templates
- It should be easy to read quickly. Make your resume one page or less, if possible.
- Always put your most impressive information at the top.
- Tailor your resume to the specific job for which you are applying.
- Print it on quality resume paper.
- Make sure there are no typos. Proofread at least twice, and then get someone else to look at it.
A cover letter accompanying your resume is your chance to really sell yourself.
USING MICROSOFT WORD
- Customize your cover letter for the particular company to which you are applying.
- Write in a conversational tone.
- Don’t make it overly formal. Let some of your personality come through.
- Address the letter to the person in charge of hiring. Use their name and make sure you spell it right!
To use resume templates that come with Microsoft Word 2010:
- Click the File tab in Microsoft Word.
- Click the New option on the left-side panel.
- Under Office.com Templates, choose Resumes and CVs.
- Double-click a folder for a category of resume.
- Choose a resume template to get started.