Sibert Award Criteria
- In identifying a "distinguished" book for children, the committee
members will consider the following:
- High quality in writing and illustration. Clarity and accuracy of
presentation in both text and illustrative material, as well as appropriate
documentation, distinctive use of language, excellent artistic presentation
- Stimulating presentation of facts, concepts and ideas.
- Engaging writing and illustration.
- Appropriateness of style of presentation of information for topic or
subject and with respect to the different age levels for whom the book may
- Committee members must consider excellence of presentation for a
- The book must be a self-contained entity, not dependent on other
media (i.e., sound or film equipment) for its enjoyment.
Note: The committee should keep in mind that the award is for
quality of presentation for children. The award is not for didactic
intent or for popularity.
The preceding is adapted from the official
terms and criteria from ALSC.
and suggestions can be sent to Mary R. Voors, Manager, Children's Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.